Friday, June 5, 2009

The Wondrous Cross

Dear friend,


What do we learn from looking at the cross?


In his hymn When I Survey the Wondrous Cross Isaac Watts wrote:

"When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the Prince of glory died,

My richest gain I count but loss,

And pour contempt on all my pride."

Erwin McManus writes about the cross:

"If the cross of Christ teaches us anything, it teaches us that sometimes God doesn't show up until after we are dead."

The apostle Paul wrote about the cross:

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."  Galatians 6:14


On Sunday, June 7th, we will being doing our fourth of five messages looking at what the hymns of previous generations can teach us about worship, theology, and the Christian experience. This Sunday we will take communion together and look at Isaac Watts’ When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.


Warmly in Christ,


Pastor Gary

No comments: