Tuesday, November 4, 2008

VOTE!

Today we will elect a new president and vote on some very important propositions.

The mission of the church is not to elect the “right president.” It is to make disciples (Matthew 28:19-20).

As followers of Christ, God wants us to be good citizens. But ultimately our citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20-21). Our greatest loyalty must not be to a political party or ideal. Our greatest loyalty must be to Christ (Matthew 16:24-26)!

Last night I was in the middle of a lot of people talking politics where my political views were definitely in the minority. I tried to listen well and hold my tongue.

I have very strong political opinions, but I reserve most political discussion for my family and closest friends. With everyone else I try to point out that all change without a change of heart is superficial. Our principle concern shouldn’t be over who occupies the White House, but who reigns in our hearts!

Most of us, if not all, want an honorable peace in the Middle East and we want to bring our young men and women home safely. But the ultimate reason for all war is that there is violence in our hearts. And only Christ can change the heart!

Most of us, if not all, want a stronger economy. But a lot of the mess in our economy is due to greed in our hearts. And only Christ can change the heart!

Most of us, if not all, want cleaner, less expensive, and renewable sources of energy. But only Christ, through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, can release God’s power in abundant measure that cleans our hearts from the inside out!

Today, I hope you will vote. But more importantly, I hope you will invest your life in following Christ and being a change-agent for Him in our world (Acts 1:8)! This should be the mission of every person who calls Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior.

Next week I hope to share more with you about where God is leading us as a church.

Warmly in Christ,

Pastor Gary

No comments: